RamRage

The story of my fight for the good of the planet and all on it...

Monday, March 02, 2009

STOP AND SEARCH: Part 2

While travelling back from a LARP event I walked through Uxbridge station and got stopped by the Community support officers and Police because (my own stupid fault) I had a LARP sword sticking out of the top of my backpack.

Cue lots of questioning and discussion about how I should carry it (they suggested a tube and I should cover the LARP weapons up when I travel). The Policeman also commented that he did consider the sword an offensive weapon and would be justified in arresting me for it. As it stood I think they figured I was just some kind of geek and allowed me to go on my way.

However, of course they have their reports to fill out and they asked me my name. I said I would rather not say. This caused their eyes to narrow and asked me why, I replied that I would just prefer not to. They asked me if I got in trouble with the Police a lot. I laughed at that, but then shut up and replied in the negative because having three Police officers around you is very intimidating. I wasn't trying to be annoying, I just didn't want to give my name. I was obviously shook up because I had never been stopped and questioned by the Police before.

I was going to ask why they stopped me (but that was obvious), then their names and my copy of the report of the search but frankly they were pretty intimidating and I didn't want to annoy them any more than I had, so when they let me go I jumped on the tube and went home.

Lessons learned:
1) Stop and search can be intimidating but ultimately know your rights on them
2) Don't carry LARP weapons in such a way as they could be considered to be REAL weapons
3) Be glad you do not live in a police state

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home